VA data breach exposes personal information for 46,000 veterans
Posted September 14, 2020
- The breach involved an online application that appeared to handle medical payments of some kind.
- Based on a preliminary review from VA’s Privacy Office, unauthorized users gained access to the application and changed financial information to divert payments from the department to community care health providers “using social engineering techniques and exploiting authentication protocols.”
- Veterans will receive more information by mail, which will include instructions on the steps they can take to protect their personal data.
- Veterans who don’t receive any alert from the department were not impacted by the recent data breach, VA said.
– Nicole Ogrysko | September 14, 2020