US sanctions Russia over SolarWinds hack, election interference
Posted April 15, 2021
- The new measures sanction 32 entities and individuals for “carrying out Russian government-directed attempts to influence the 2020 US presidential election,” and six Russian companies for providing “support to the Russian Intelligence Services’ cyber program.”
- The US is also expelling 10 Russian diplomats and putting in place economic restrictions.
- On Thursday, the administration formally named Russia’s foreign intelligence service, the SVR, as the perpetrator of the “broad-scope cyber espionage campaign.” The National Security Agency, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and the FBI issued a joint advisory outlining “software vulnerabilities that the SVR uses to gain access to victim devices and networks.”
- The administration said it’s also taking steps with allies to bolster cybersecurity and evaluating whether to take further action under the executive order to protect supply chains from exploitation by Russia.
– Carrie Mihalcek | April 15, 2021