Ubiquiti says customer data may have been accessed in data breach
Posted January 11, 2021
- In a short email to customers on Monday, the tech company said it became aware of unauthorized access to its systems hosted by a third-party cloud provider. Ubiquiti didn’t name the cloud company, when the breach happened or what caused the security incident.
- “This data may include your name, email address, and the one-way encrypted password to your account,” said the email to customers. “The data may also include your address and phone number if you have provided that to us.”
- Although the email says passwords are scrambled, the company says users should update their passwords and also enable two-factor authentication, which makes it harder for hackers from taking the stolen passwords and using them to break into accounts.
- The networking company quickly followed its email with a post on its community pages confirming that the email was authentic, after several complained that the email sent to customers included typos.
– Zack Whittaker | January 11, 2021