- Student data has become increasingly threatened as cyberattacks on schools intensify this year.
- This tactic of data exfiltration and extortion, which has become especially prevalent in ransomware attacks, puts additional pressure on schools to pay hefty ransoms in order to protect the privacy of its students.
- Threat actors have long targeted K-12 schools and higher education in the past, but such attacks have increase amid the shift to remote learning during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Awareness around the expanded attack surface is another concern and is not well understood by the teachers, faculty and staff who are actually deploying the distance learning solutions.
– Arielle Waldman | October 5, 2020