Russia’s Alleged SolarWinds Cyber Attack Likely to Provoke Tough Western Response
Posted December 15, 2020
- Russian fingerprints are said to be all over the hack of SolarWinds software used by U.S. government networks, including the Treasury and Commerce Departments, the Department of Home Security (DHS), and several others.
- Recent western efforts to contain Russia’s behavior, such as the expulsion of diplomats, appear to have had little success.
- Cybersecurity expert Dmitri Alperovitch told the Associated Press that the hack which compromised the corporate software management tool SolarWinds could be “one of the most impactful” espionage campaigns ever.
- The next move by the U.S. could depend on whether Russia had simply carried out a clandestine information gathering hack or made a definite move to destabilize the country.
– Brendan Cole | December 15, 2020