- Forty-one percent of insurance claims in the first quarter of 2021 were related to ransomware, as highly skilled criminals now target all industries, from banks to hospitals and national health services, industrial systems, oil pipelines or even meat processing plants, often creating widespread chaos in the process.
- Washington is considering measures ranging from making the reporting of such incidents mandatory for companies, which have traditionally tried to deal with this type of situation discreetly, to fine those who pay ransoms, along with diplomatic actions towards the countries harboring these cybercriminals or even the possibility of a military response.
- The reality is that cyberattacks are extremely versatile, since they can be prepared far in advance and activated at a crucial moment.
- Cyber-attacks are relatively easy to carry out, and protecting society is complex, requiring anything from adopting zero-trust architectures to a complete rethink of systems and, above all, of the training of employees, who are often the weakest link in security.
- Prepare your organization: train staff, develop a culture that values security, create efficient backup procedures, keep all systems properly updated, hire cybersecurity experts or consultants… don’t ever think that it can’t happen to you.
– Enrique Dans | June 13, 2021