Learning from data breaches: The importance of the fundamentals
Posted November 13, 2020
- “It’s all too easy to get caught up in the headlining data breaches that we’re seeing so frequently today and to think “we’re not that dumb””
- Criminals are lazy. They won’t fight tooth and nail to get into a target if they can sneak in elsewhere, and oftentimes, the job is actually made quite easy for them.
- Whether it’s ransomware, malware, SQL injection or even phishing, it seems as though we’re reading about brand new breaches every few days.
- Protecting modern IT systems is surprisingly easy.
- First, it all starts with an attitude to not be apathetic about security, to not assume that “everything will be ok” when using default settings for software and hardware.
- Second, it is important to discard the obsolete notions that the default behavior of security systems is to trust everybody.
– Kevin Kline | November 13, 2020