Justice Department convenes task force to tackle wave of ransomware attacks
Posted April 21, 2021
- The Ransomware and Digital Extortion Task Force will be made of officials from the agency’s National Security Division, Criminal Division, Civil Division, Executive Office of U.S. Attorneys and FBI.
- The task force will also create and implement a strategy to combat the criminal enterprise involved in ransomware attacks along with strengthening public-private partnerships between the Justice Department and the private sector to address ransomware attacks and furthering collaboration with international partners.
- The task force was convened following a year that saw a huge increase in ransomware attacks during the COVID-19 pandemic against groups including hospitals, schools and other critical organizations, with cyber criminals targeting vulnerable organizations to make money.
- DHS announced in March that combating ransomware would be the focus of the first of several 60-day cybersecurity sprints the Department of Homeland Security would take on, with Mayorkas stressing the need to confront the “national security threat” of ransomware.
– Maggie Miller | April 21, 2021