- The number of month-on-month healthcare data breaches of 500 or more records reported in the United States was halved in January.
- Despite the massive decline in the number of breaches recorded in January, the total number of health records compromised in the first month of 2021—4,467,098—exceeded December’s total by more than 225,000. A major data breach at Florida Healthy Kids Corporation that impacted 3.5 million individuals was key in driving January’s figure past the four million mark.
- Other notable data breaches reported in January include a ransomware attack on healthcare provider Hendrick Health that compromised 640,436 records and a phishing attack on Roper St Francis Healthcare in which 640,436 records were exposed.
- Hacking and other IT incidents caused the majority of healthcare data breaches in January.
– Sarah Coble | February 19, 2021