Hacking campaign targeted US energy, treasury and commerce agencies
Posted December 17, 2020
- In a statement on Thursday, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (Cisa) also warned that it will be difficult to remove the malware inserted through network software.
- “Removing this threat actor from compromised environments will be highly complex and challenging for organizations,” the agency said.
- The true scale of the breach is still unknown, but looks to have extended beyond the US government. On Thursday, Reuters reported that Microsoft was also hacked as part of the suspected Russian campaign, according to people familiar with the matter.
- SolarWinds, the company behind the software targeted by hackers, said earlier this week that up to 18,000 of its more than 300,000 customers had downloaded the compromised software.
– Kari Paul | December 17, 2020