Garmin’s outage, ransomware attack response lacking as earnings loom
Posted July 27, 2020
- Garmin’s long-running outage is a case study in how not to handle an IT meltdown and cybersecurity attack and may indicate a longer recovery than expected.
- You could almost smell the panic as Garmin dealt with a ransomware attack that brought down numerous systems including Garmin Connect, the software that holds data on your runs, workouts, and activities as well as production systems and call centers.
- You need to recall is how Strava data was able to pinpoint troops and then you realize how valuable Garmin data could be.
- Now the Pentagon has banned GPS devices, but the Strava incident gives you an idea of what’s possible.
– Larry Dignan | July 27, 2020