Data Breach Impacts 1 in 4 Wyomingites
Posted April 28, 2021
- Wyoming’s Department of Health (WDH) has announced the accidental exposure of personal health information belonging to more than a quarter of the state’s population on GitHub.com.
- Data in the leaked files included the results of tests for influenza and COVID-19 performed across the United States between January 2020 and March 2021. One file containing breath alcohol test results was also exposed.
- Along with the test results were patients’ names, ID numbers, addresses, dates of birth, and dates of when tests had been carried out.
- “While WDH staff intended to use this software service only for code storage and maintenance rather than to maintain files containing health information, a significant and very unfortunate error was made when the test result data was also uploaded to GitHub.com,” said WDH director Michael Ceballos.
– Sarah Coble | April 28, 2021