Council cyber attacks on the rise as criminals ‘exploit’ coronavirus pandemic
Posted September 28, 2020
- Hull City Council has suffered 10 significant cyber attacks this year, up from four during the whole of 2019 according to the local authority’s figures.
- Councillors heard IT staff had bought a phishing simulator to help train staff to recognise false emails and on what to do if sensitive information is passed on.
- The committee also heard security systems currently in place meant the council could react quickly to breaches, with staff on standby to monitor threats all hours daily.
- Councillors heard the local authority’s IT systems are subject to yearly stress tests and that in house checks are undertaken regularly to prevent breaches.
– Joseph Gerrard | September 28, 2020