Business leaders must learn lessons from recent cyber attacks
Posted March 24, 2021
- “Although some top executives continue to view cybersecurity as a second-tier priority, business leaders are doing increasingly well in developing a basic technical understanding of cyber risk and recognizing the importance of robust cyber risk management,” says Eric Rosenbach
- As a former Pentagon Chief of Staff [July 2015-January 2017], Rosenbach is familiar with the challenge of building an effective cybersecurity culture.
- Building a strong culture involves showing why and how cybersecurity is essential to an organization’s mission.
- 5 key principles: transparency; accountability, appropriate system knowledge, compliance with policy and procedure, and formal communication channels.
- Identifying your most valuable digital assets is crucial.
- The December 2020 attack on US software company SolarWinds highlights an important lesson: organizations cannot rely on ‘front door’ preventive security measures alone, but must also embed measures of detection, neutralization, and recovery into their cyber risk strategies.
| March 24, 2021