- Verizon released its 2020 Data Breach Investigations report on Tuesday, outlining the biggest cybersecurity threats hitting the enterprise and providing tips on how to handle the risks. The majority (86%) of data breaches are for financial gain—up from 71% in 2019.
- The majority of breaches (70%), however, are caused by external actors, with organized crime accounting for more than half (55%) of them. Credential theft and social attacks including phishing and business email compromises caused more than 67% of breaches.
TechRepublic - Macy Bayern | May 18, 2020
- For the first time, the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to review the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) in Van Buren v. United States, No. 19-783.
- How the Supreme Court decides Van Buren will transform the landscape for CFAA claims in trade secrets and employment litigation. Simultaneously, the decision should also bring much needed clarity to the definition of “authorization” in the context of data breach statutes, notification obligations, and ensuing data breach litigation.
The National Law Review - Kari M. Rollins and David M. Poell | May 18, 2020
- Agency fined €75,000 over three cases where data about children was wrongly disclosed.
- The child and family agency, Tusla, has become the first organisation in the State fined for a breach of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The Irish Times - Colm Keena | May 17, 2020
- With all our energy of the past several weeks focused on adapting to the global crisis, security may have taken a back seat. But cybercriminals haven’t forgotten.
- While each network environment is different, there are things organisations can implement to reduce their risk from ransomware and other advanced threats:
Bedfordville and Edenvale News | May 17, 2020
- Cyberattackers have been mimicking government websites in phishing emails related to the coronavirus pandemic with ready-made templates.
- Watch for misspelling, fraudulent display names, and fake sender email addresses. If the email looks suspicious, skip the link and type in the address of the actual page...
FOX Business - Audrey Conklin | May 17, 2020
San Diego Cyber Incident Response Guide
Learn more about San Diego’s region-wide cyber incident response guide and available local, state and federal resources.