- There was a data breach, and perhaps your identity and other sensitive information is now in the hands of, well, who knows? But what does this actually mean? What is a “data breach”?
- Some companies store your information in state-of-the-art data centers with multiple backups and extreme security measures – these are the Googles, Microsofts, and Amazons of the world.
- Alternatively, your data could be stored on a grimy old laptop that’s been repurposed as a web server and lives in someone’s closet. Maybe small niche websites or forums run by amateur web admins.
- We have to accept that data breaches are a fact of life and deal with them as they happen.
- There is no such thing as perfect security, and for high-value information, someone will always be motivated to steal it.
– Sydney Butler | October 19, 2020