- According to Interpol, COVID-19 has led to shifts in targets from individuals and small businesses to government and critical health infrastructure.
- Security agencies in the U.K. and U.S. have unsurfaced targeted efforts against the healthcare, pharmaceutical, academic, and research industries tasked with providing uninterrupted patient care to infected people and in coronavirus vaccine research.
- Attackers are unflinchingly exploiting conditions like increases in teleworking – many with little or no prior experience and planning – fear and anxiety among the general masses, and an overworked and distracted medical workforce.
- Failure of healthcare systems can have dire consequences: failures to order drugs, schedule operations, or make ambulances available on time during emergencies.
– Puja Mahendru | October 7, 2020