Shopify fires two ‘rogue’ employees following data breach
Posted September 23, 2020
- The office of Canada’s privacy commissioner says Shopify Inc. has yet to notify it of a recent data breach the company says was carried out by two “rogue” employees.
- “We have not received a breach report about this incident,” Vito Pilieci, a senior communications adviser for the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, told The Canadian Press in an email Wednesday.
- On Tuesday, the Ottawa-based company first revealed on an online discussion board that it had identified two workers involved in illegitimately obtaining records connected to some of its merchants.
- “We immediately terminated these individuals’ access to our Shopify network and referred the incident to law enforcement. We are currently working with the FBI and other international agencies in their investigation of these criminal acts,” the company said.
– Tara Deschamps | September 23, 2020