Lithuania Suffers “Most Complex” Cyber-attack in Years
Posted December 16, 2020
- On the night of December 9, cyber-criminals breached multiple content management systems to gain access to 22 different websites operated by Lithuania’s public sector. The attackers then published articles containing misinformation on the sites.
- In a statement published on Wednesday, Lithuania’s defense minister, Arvydas Anušauskas, described the digital assault as one of the “biggest and most complex” cyber-attacks to hit the republic in recent years.
- Anušauskas added that the attack, which took place “on the eve of the government’s transition […] was prepared in advance and with a goal in mind.”
- Following the attack, the NKSC has submitted a number of cybersecurity recommendations to municipalities. These include actively searching for vulnerabilities, limiting access to content management systems, installing a firewall, and avoiding the use of passwords that are easy to guess.
– Sarah Coble | December 16, 2020