Data Breach at New England’s Largest Energy Provider
Posted April 21, 2021
- A misconfiguration error has exposed personal data belonging to customers of New England’s largest energy provider.
- An investigation into the data breach found that the unsecured folder contained personal data belonging to customers residing in eastern Massachusetts.
- Information exposed in the incident included names, addresses, phone numbers, Social Security numbers, billing addresses, and Eversource account numbers and service addresses.
- The folder was secured on the same day that the error was detected, and the company’s security team do not believe that the personal information it contains was accessed, stolen, or misused by any unauthorized third parties.
- “Organizations need to have security processes and procedures in place when utilizing cloud and on-site servers when exposed to the internet,” commented James McQuiggan, security awareness advocate at KnowBe4.
– Sarah Coble | April 21, 2021